Help! I’m not losing weight with P90X or Insanity
Help! I’m not losing weight with P90X or InsanityOct 12th, 2010 | By Nancy Andrews | Category: P90X FAQ
I am regularly approached by people who are not losing weight on the P90X or Insanity programs. Most of them are women. And that’s not surprising because women have a harder time getting a body that’s overweight and prone to put on fat to suddenly turn around and become a fat burner.
But just because it’s harder does not mean we can’t overcome – that we can’t win. Come on gals, you know we can. We are the ones made of tougher stuff. But we need to be tough with ourselves and even more importantly honest and vigilant. If we do all those things, we will win our battle to shape up and slim down.
First things first. If you are not seeing much weight loss but you do see your waist, hip and thigh measurements doing down, your body is burning fat and adding muscle. That’s a good thing. Don’t fret about that. Look, if you weighted 200 lbs but fit in a size 4 – who cares? We are programmed to focus too much on ‘losing weight’ rather than our body measurements. We need to change that. And as you do and you progress through the program, you should see some weight loss start. If you don’t, just follow the guidelines below.
Now if you are not losing weight and not losing inches, you are suffering from one or more of the normal culprits below:
- You are not working out with high enough intensity. This is a tough reality for many women. Many of us were not raised to work out hard ‘like a man’. But for muscle to grow, we need to work it hard – to near failure. If you are not shaking on the last few reps and your muscles are not starting to burn by the end of the workout then you are not working out hard enough. Some women are afraid they’ll get too muscular. That’s wrong thinking. First, it’s near impossible to get too muscular because women don’t have the testosterone hormone levels that men do. It’s the testosterone that permits men to get big and super muscular. Besides that, it’s not like you’d suddenly wake up one morning and gasp at the super huge muscles you’ve gotten. Muscle build up is slow for anyone and especially women. Just workout will all your might and you will see improvements.
- You are eating too many calories. I find the P90X guidelines tend to have women eating too many calories. If you are not seeing results, go with a simple formula of the greater of 1500 calories or 10x your body weight in pounds. This will create a calorie deficit that will translate into weight loss.
- You are eating too many carbs. Keep your diet to 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fats as far as calories go. To save you some computations, at 1500 calories that’s 150 grams of protein, 150 grams of carbs and about 33 grams of fats. To hit your protein requirements you will almost have to supplement with whey protein so get some now if you don’t have that handy in your home. I buy the Body Fortress Super Advanced brand at Walmart – it’s cheap and tasty and easy to mix with water. You have to keep your eyes on the fats. It’s too easy to blow through your 33 gram limit. That’s why some of your protein should be whey protein because that’s nearly fat and carb free.
- You are not drinking enough water. This sounds like it can’t be a significant issue with weight loss but it is. You need to drink a half ounce of water for every pound you weigh. If you weigh 150 lbs, you need to drink 75 ounces of water. When you are working out really hard, you can get dehydrated. That puts a real strain on your kidneys and your liver which should be breaking down fats has to stop and pitch in and help your kidneys out. Moreover, the break down of fats produces metablites (waste particles) that need to get flushed out of your system.
- You are too stressed. When you are highly stressed your body produces a lot of the hormone cortisol. Your really don’t want that. Excess cortisol can wrek havoc on your body as it is linked to muscle loss and increased abdominal fat. To combat excess cortisol make sure you take several breaks a day to just breathe slowly and deeply. This will not only bring down your stress levels which will stop your body’s production of excess cortisol, it will oxygenate your blood which will immediately improve your body’s ability to burn fat. Also try to get at least 7 hours of sleep in each night. Eight hours would be better but aim for at least 7. This will help your body deal with the day’s stressors more effectively.
For many women, they’ll find more than one of these culprits are present in their lifestyles. Take heed and make the necessary changes and the weight will come off.
Finally, I’d be remiss here if I didn’t add that P90X is actually the better program if you want signficant changes to your figure. When done properly with right diet, P90X burns fat while building a little lean muscle. So we add a few curves where we need them, pull up and firm up our ‘giggly’ parts and lose fat all over. Insanity is a better pic to do after P90X or, better yet, with P90X in a P90X/Insanity hybrid workout. Insanity is a program that makes fit people fitter. It’s not, in my opinion, a starter program.