P90X Supplements or Insanity Supplements Do You Need Them?
P90X SupplementsAug 23rd, 2010 | By Nancy Andrews | Category: Coach Nancy - The Way I See It..., P90X FAQ, Supplements
I get this question regularly. But before I can answer this question, we need to define what ‘supplements’ are. This is particularly important when it comes to protein powder. I don’t consider this a supplement because it’s really a food. A good shake replaces some other food you would have eaten otherwise. Would you consider cottage cheese a supplement? I think not. And when you buy a larger container of a high quality supplement, you can basically have a meal for less than $1.00 and that’s pretty cheap for a meal.
I also don’t consider a multi vitamin a supplement. Sure it’s not a food but in today’s high stress world where even the best of us don’t eat enough fresh, organic fruits and veggies, a well balanced multi vitamin makes sense. Moreover, when doing an extreme program like P90X, you have additional stress on the body which means you need a higher level of vitamins and minerals to keep your body nourished.
So while we could debate these two items as supplements or not, for sake of argument, I’ll put these down as ‘must have supplements’
Nancy’s Must Have Supplements:
- High quality protein powder. I use the Gaspari brand Myofusion for an evening shake (high protein and very low carb and fat) shortly before I go to bed. For those looking for the ultimate in nutrition, consider Shakeology.I use Shakeology in the mornings after I workout. Shakeology is definitely a meal replacement shake with over 70 nutrients. Because it has ingredients that are energizers (maca & chia seeds) I recommend you take Shakeology during the day and not at night. You can get by with just the Myofusion if you are on a budget. Also I tell my clients that if your primary goal is just weight loss, Myofusion gets the job done. But if your goal is total health in a lean body, and you have the budget, Shakeology is a great investment.
- High quality multi vitamin. I’ve used Activit before and liked it. Right now I’m on Nature’s Way Alive multi vitamin. I like this one because it adds green foods, bioflavanoids, enzymes, amino acids and more so it’s more readily absorbed and used by the body.
- My #1 supplement is Xtend. This is a branched chain amino acid supplement that helps me add lean muscle and recover from hard workouts more quickly without adding any calories. I love this. It costs me about $.65 per day to add this.
- Jack3d or Gaspari’s Superpump250. These are what are referred to as NO or nitric oxide supplements. They don’t actually contain any NO but ingredients thought to produce higher levels of NO. NO will give you better muscle pumps and greater stamina. I like both of these although I find I lean up more on Superpump 250. Jack3d is a smaller serving and mixes much more easily in water. Great for men and women who want to add more lean mass. Please note that these supplements have stimulents in them. While it can get you motivated to workout, I would not take them if you are doing an evening workout.
- Thyroid Support supplement. This is for women who know that their thyroid is low functioning. Many women in their 40′s and later could use thyroid support. I like Beachbody’s Total Woman formula. Taking a supplement like the Total Woman’s Health formula can help accelerate fat burning (particularly from the belly) and increase energy levels without stimulants.
- OxyElite Pro Fat Burner. As a rule, I don’t like fat burners because once you put the advertising hype aside and do the research, there isn’t much in these fat burners that has any proof that it will help you burn fat other than caffiene. And for that you could just have a cup of coffee or green tea before working out for less! However, I recently stumbled upong this OxyElite which has different ingredients and I am rather impressed with this. In fact, I’m going to write an entire post about fat burners tomorrow and explain why this one is different.
- Creatine. This is something I’m currently dabbling with as a woman even though its use is targeted towards men. It is NOT recommended if you are trying to burn fat. Creatine is a muscle building supplement and the way these formulas get your body to absorb the creatine is to blend it with sugars. Ingesting sugar will stop your fat burning so this is a supplement for a specific use for building muscle. Great for men to take to pack on more beefy mass. But if you are going to take it you must drink a lot of water and you really need to cycle off of this once you consume a container so you don’t overload your kidneys.
So now you know. Remember a high quality protein, a good multi vitamin and a good diet will do 80%+ of the job. The rest is for those who want the added edge and can afford it!
Finally, with the exception of creatine, these are the same supplements I recommend for Turbo Fire and Insanity!Google+